According to the National Sleep Foundation, it’s recommend that we get about 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Unfortunately for many of us, that doesn’t happen. Whether it’s work, family, or school, sleeping the recommended duration can be difficult to squeeze into our busy lives. However, these barriers can impact your well being, and in extreme cases, lead to sleep deprivation.
Sleep deprivation can ominously affect your health, safety, and performance. It has been associated in various accidents; particularly in driving and work performance. It also impacts our mood and quality of life.
It has been found that short naps, or as I like to call them – “cat naps”- can help prevent both sleep deprivation as well as drowsiness. It’s important to note that you should avoid longer naps as they have high chances of grogginess and insomnia, as pictured below:
A “cat nap/short nap” is recommended to be about 20 to 30 minutes long. This provides substantial benefits for improved performance and alertness, while avoiding a groggy period after the rest. Remember, naps aren’t just for kids – we adults need them too!
Web MD lists benefits of napping for adults that include:
- Reduced risks of accidents and error
- Increased alertness and performance in work and day-to-day life
- Feeling rejuvenated, relaxed and rested
- A boost in energy
Here’s some tips to enhance your nap:
- Set an alarm on your phone so you don’t over-nap!
- Get comfy – find a quiet spot and settle in. Consider an eye mask to keep the daylight away.
- Try to schedule your nap in the middle of the day – normally between 1:00 & 3:00 PM so it doesn’t negatively affect your nighttime sleep.
To feel even more reinvigorated after your cat-nap, call us at 806-797-7546 to schedule your next massage, sugar foot scrub, or facial. We offer several types of services to help keep you relaxed and revitalized.