Often considered a luxury, massage therapy is actually just that: a form of mind and body therapy that reduces stress and improves overall health. Below we’ve listed three forms of massage therapy we offer at BodyScapes, along with the numerous advantages they carry.
Oncology Massage Therapy
An Oncology massage is the modification of the existing massage therapy techniques in order to safely work with complications of cancer and cancer treatment.
- Deep relaxation
- Reduced stress/anxiety
- Improved sleep
- Eased constipation
- Less nausea
- Reduced pain
- Decreased depression
- Increased feelings of well-being
- Being pleasantly distracted
- Reduced swelling
- Reduced post-surgical pain
- Improved mobility/range of motion
- Easier adaptation to implants and expanders
Following Radiation or Chemotherapy:
- Reduced anxiety in advance of and during treatment
- Reduced post-treatment fatigue
- Improved appetite
- Improved peripheral neuropathy
Sport Massage Therapy:
Sports massage therapy is geared toward athletes of every kind, from weekend joggers to world-class professionals. The particulars of the sports massage technique are specific to the athlete’s sport of choice, focusing on areas of the body that are overused and stressed from repetitive, often aggressive movements. Sports massages should play an important part in the life of any sportsman weather they’re injured or not. These massages have a number of benefits for athletes physically and psychologically.
- Stretching (stretches tissues that could not be stretched in the usual methods)
- Improves tissue elasticity
- Increased tissue permeability (helps remove waste products such as lactic acid and encourage muscles to take up oxygen and nutrients that help you recover quickly)
- Breaking down scar tissue
- Pain reduction/Releasing endorphins
- Relaxation/Anxiety reduction
Lymphatic Massage Therapy
Lymphatic Massage – also known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) – is a special type of bodywork. This gentle massage technique is used to increase the lymph flow and encourage the natural drainage of the lymph from the body tissues, while balancing your immune system and restoring function to the lymph system. This is a very safe and effective technique that is useful for various conditions where lymph flow may be compromised, like Lymphedema or swollen limbs caused by diabetes, sports injuries, post-surgical, etc.
Through its gentle, rhythmical and precise hand movements, the benefits to lymphatic therapy are many:
- Removal of metabolic wastes, excess water, bacteria, toxins and foreign substances from the tissues.
- Alleviates pain by greatly reducing the pain signals sent to the brain
- Relaxation of the sympathetic nervous system, thus helping relieve stress
- Supports and enhances the immune system
- Minimizes scar formation
- Promotes healing from injuries, surgical trauma, chronic conditions and edema
So, now that you know some of the very real benefits of getting a massage… When can we schedule yours?
Give us a call at 806-797-7546 or stop by our spa at 7008 Indiana Ave. Suite B today!